Co-op of co-ops
This is a Request for Comments DRAFT!
It is being discussed on this Discourse forum thread.
- 1 A co-op of co-ops
- 1.1 Membership structure
- 1.2 Services provided to consumer member co-ops
- 1.3 Services provided by producer member co-ops
- 1.4 Services provided directly by member co-operatives
A co-op of co-ops
The Online Meeting Co-operative is a co-operative of co-operatives who share work and expenses in order to provide online meeting services to members.
Membership of The Online Meeting Co-operative is only open to co-operatives.
There are two classes of membership, consumer member co-ops and producer member co-ops (producer member co-ops will generally also be consumers).
We try to make decisions using consensus but if this fails there is one vote per member co-operative.
Services provided to consumer member co-ops
Each co-operative consumer member is provided with one or more BigBlueButton Greenlight containers, on a fair use basis, with these customisation options:
- Full control over the provisioning of accounts
- Your own domain / sub-domain for the service, for example
- Your own email address / account for password reminders etc, this can use a SMTP account on your own server, for example
- Your choice of max number of rooms per account
- Your choice of max duration of meetings
- Your choice of max participants in meetings
Services provided by producer member co-ops
The producer member co-ops work together to ensure:
- Consumer members are supported
- Servers are provisioned and maintained
- Bills for servers are paid
- Consumer members co-operatives contribute a fair amount towards the cost of the services they use
- Producer co-operatives are are paid a fair amount based on the amount of time their workers contribute to the co-operative
Services provided directly by member co-operatives
Services available directly from member co-operatives of The Online Meeting Co-operative:
Greenlight user accounts
If you want one or more accounts to host meetings for yourself or your organisation then sign up for a service from one of these co-operatives directly:
Dedicated Greenlight containers
If your organisation is a co-operative you can join the Online Meeting Co-operative as a produced member and be provided with one or more Greenlight containers, if you are an individual or organisation which is not a co-operative you can purchase a Greenlight container from one of the members of the Online Meeting Co-operative who provide them for clients:
Greenlight container customisation
- A maintained fork of the meet.coop default Greenlight Docker image (the default is
registry.git.coop/meet/greenlight/images/greenlight:www.meet.coopthe code for which is available here https://git.coop/meet/greenlight/) to allow additional branding and user interface changes other than simply colours and the logo
Available from Autonomic
Dedicated BigBlueButton servers
Sysadmin provisioning of dedicated BigBlueButton servers, these allow additional options:
- Enabling of meeting recordings
- API access for CMS plugins such as Nextcloud, Moodle, WordPress and Drupal